How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15711
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband receives a monthly check from the VA. That check

Customer Question

My husband receives a monthly check from the VA. That check is earmarked to be used toward our monthly rent.
do I have to claim that amount on my taxes?
We pay for a nurse to come in and be here when he showers and helps him to get dressed.
She is here twice a week.
We live in a senior housing that provides 3 meals a day and everything except our laundryI have been told that the rent is deductible.. Should that come under health expenses?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
HelloThe payments form the VA are not taxable.Assisted living expenses are deductible under health so if you itemize your deductions (Schedule A) you can claim the medical there. This would be for the nurse and the assisted living costs if you are there for medical reasons.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Checking to see if you responded