Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Residential rental property was sold and there was a

Customer Question
mortgage on it so where...
residential rental property was sold and there was a mortgage on it so where do I put in the mortgage on my taxes to show what I really gained or lost on the property
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I sold a rental property foe 147,000 I have a basis of $117000 and mortgage of 121000 how do I show that I only received 12468 for the property after paying off the mortgage
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/31/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

When the loan/mortgage was taken - it was not reported as your taxable income - correct?
So when that mortgage is paid off - that amount is NOT deducted.

The sale of rental property is reported on form 4797
The gain is calculated as (selling price) MINIS (adjusted basis) MINUS (selling expenses)
That gain will be added to other taxable income - but if you owned that rental property more than a year - the gain will be taxed as long term capital gain at reduced tax rates.

We still may deduct mortgage interest - that amount is reported on schedule E with other rental expenses.

.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you will all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor