Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

MY 89 YEAR OLD GRANDMOTHER HAS NOT PAID TAXES IN LAST 7

Customer Question

MY 89 YEAR OLD GRANDMOTHER HAS NOT PAID TAXES IN LAST 7 YEARS THAT I'VE BEEN CARING FOR HER. SHE HAS LIVED IN MY HOME FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS. SHE HAS A MONTHLY INCOME OF: $2883.00 ($383 FRENCH PENSION, VETERENS ADMINISTRATION $1100 AND SOCIAL SECURITY 1400.00).
I WOULD LIKE TO CLAIM HER AS A DEPENDENT THIS YEAR. I HAVE LOST LOTS OF INCOME FROM NOT BEING ABLE TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OVERTIME OPPORTUNITIES AND I PAY HER CARETAKER THE TOTAL 2883 PLUS SOME.
WILL I BE ATTACHED TO HER UNPAID TAXES SOMEHOW IF I CLAIM HER? I AM HER LEGAL POWER OF ATTORNEY.
LISA
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Her income is not below the $4000 limit (you do not have to count her SS as income). She is getting $17796 in the year and that places her over the amount for you to be able to claim her as a dependent.

You may claim the amount you pay for her medical care (this would include the caretaker as they need not be a nurse) if you itemize your deductions.

You cannot claim her as a dependent. Her medical is allowed by you because the only reason you cannot claim her is the income she gets.

This would not make you liable for her tax debts.

You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.
You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Checking to see if you responded