emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I am 73 years old and will have net taxable ordinary income

Customer Question

I am 73 years old and will have net taxable ordinary income of about $15,000 this year. I have a chance to sell some stock I have owned for a long time which will result in a long term capital gain of $429,000. According to the tax brackets I have looked at, since I am in no more than a 15% tax bracket, the schedule and all that I have read tells me that I will pay zero tax on the gain except a Net Investment tax of .038% on the gain over $200,000. Am I right on this?
Russ
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Sorry to disappoint you but to look up your tax bracket you have to add all your income, including the capital gains. It means that your total income will be 444K and as a single you will be in the highest 39.6% tax bracket and your capital gains will be taxed at 20%.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Russ I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.