How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15328
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need to get a 2003 NY personal tax lien vacated. how is it

Customer Question

need to get a 2003 NY personal tax lien vacated. how is it done?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


NY advises that the lien will be removed when the debt is paid.

If there's a lien on property you want to sell, you must pay the debt in full with guaranteed funds. They can then issue a Notice of Pending Warrant Satisfaction. Most title companies accept this as proof the lien will be removed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have got that - looking to get it vacated. how is that done?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

You would have to give the state notice which requires them to commence an action to enforce the lien, within a time specified in the notice, not less than thirty days from the time of service, or show cause at a special term of a court of record, or at a county court, in a county in which the property is situated, at a time and place specified therein, why the notice of lien filed or the bond given should not be vacated and cancelled, or the deposit returned, as the case may be.  

You cannot vacate a state tax lien.