Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Need to get a 2003 NY personal tax lien vacated. how is it

Customer Question
done?...
need to get a 2003 NY personal tax lien vacated. how is it done?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/31/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

NY advises that the lien will be removed when the debt is paid.

If there's a lien on property you want to sell, you must pay the debt in full with guaranteed funds. They can then issue a Notice of Pending Warrant Satisfaction. Most title companies accept this as proof the lien will be removed.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/enforcement/collections/warrants_liens.htm

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
have got that - looking to get it vacated. how is that done?

You would have to give the state notice which requires them to commence an action to enforce the lien, within a time specified in the notice, not less than thirty days from the time of service, or show cause at a special term of a court of record, or at a county court, in a county in which the property is situated, at a time and place specified therein, why the notice of lien filed or the bond given should not be vacated and cancelled, or the deposit returned, as the case may be.  

You cannot vacate a state tax lien.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4