Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I'm formed an LLC and I am completing Form 2553. Our their

Customer Question
I'm formed an LLC and...
I'm formed an LLC and I am completing Form 2553. Our their implacations to using a different fiscal year ( not a calendar year) for my LLC than my calendar tax year as sole shareholder.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: If I have my LLC tax year begin 4/1/2016 and my personal tax year to follow the calendar year beginning 1/1/2016--what are the implications?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/30/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi, I can help here.

...

First, there are some requirements around using the calendar year (which, unless you're a seasonal business and are trying to match up income and expenses in the same tax year) which I typically recommend anyway

...

You must use a calendar year if:

• You keep no books.
  • You have no annual accounting period.
  • Your present tax year does not qualify as a fiscal year.
  • A provision in the Internal Revenue Code or income tax regulations require you to use a calendar year

...

However, you CAN make a 444 election, which is what you're doing on the 2553 when you choose Fiscal Year

...

Here's what section 444(1) says:

...

"If the partnership, S corporation, or PSC is adopting or changing to a tax year other than its required year, the deferral period is:

• The number of months from the end of the new tax year to the end of the required tax year.

The IRS will allow a section 444 election only if the deferral period of the new tax year is less than the shorter of:

• Three months, or
  • The deferral period of the tax year being changed."

...

SO, as an example, lets say say you go into business August 2016 as an S corporation. The required year for an S corporation is a calendar year (twelve months ended December 31). You decide to make a Section 444 election to use a fiscal year with the fiscal year ending September 30. The deferral period is three months (October 1 through December 31).

...

Taxes for the three months Oct, Nov, and Dec. of 2016 will be applicable to fiscal year ended September 30, 2017.

I honestly wouldn't go to the trouble unless there's a compelling business purpose,

...

One reason might be that you receive the bulk of income in a certain time of the year BUT your expenses tend to fall into another part of the year.

...

Choosing a fiscal Year might match up the income and expenses for the tax year better ... if your business was, say a seasonal business where 80% of revenues are generated during March, April, May, and June while 70% of the expenses to produce those revenues are incurred September, October, November, and December of the prior year, it makes sense to elect a fiscal year for tax-reporting and financial reporting.

...

By choosing a fiscal year ending June 30, , revenues expenses will be more precisely matched within the 12-month period. As a result, the income statement prepared as of June 30, 2014 will reflect a more accurate presentation of net income.

...

If you'd chosen a calendar year, and closed your books on December 31st, this would have resulted in a matching of only 20% of annual revenues earned through December 31st with 70% of annual expenses incurred through December 31st.

...

I hope this has helped.

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd really appreciate a positive rating (using the rating request, faces, or stars on your screen)

...

That’s the only way JustAnswer will credit us for the work here.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security & Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you! Very thorough and helpful answer.

You're very welcome ... Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or rating request on your screen) …is thanks enough!

That’s how we’re credited for the work here

...

Thank you!

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS