Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How or payments on a ten year note on Non Compete Agreements

Customer Question
How or payments on a...
How or payments on a ten year note for compensation on Non Compete Agreements taxed
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am getting Paid $400,000 ten year note at 5% interest for a non compete. Can report this income as I receive it or must I report it all the first year
3/30/2016
Tax Professional: Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer replied 1 year ago
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer

If you were issued a note, and you are receiving payments on the note, then the entire face value of the note is taxable when you were issued the note (which might be in the year before you started receiving payments). The interest is taxable when received.

Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer