How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 17 year old sister has lived with my husband and I than

Customer Question

My 17 year old sister has lived with my husband and I for more than half the year, and we provide her support 100%. We also claimed her as our dependent. With college coming up, she will need to fill out a FAFSA. Can she use my and my husband's info? Our father provides nothing, and owes the IRS due to not filing taxes. He has no tax information to give. What are our options? Thank you!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If you and your husband are NOT legal guardians for your sister - she may NOT use your tax information for FAFSA purposes regardless if you claim her as a dependent.
She would need to use parent's information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But he has no information to give?
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean - "no information" - ?
If your father had NO income - your sister woudl state so on FAFSA application.
But if he has income - that income must be stated even no tax return is filed.

Related Tax Questions