Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My 17 year old sister has lived with my husband and I than

Customer Question
My 17 year old sister...
My 17 year old sister has lived with my husband and I for more than half the year, and we provide her support 100%. We also claimed her as our dependent. With college coming up, she will need to fill out a FAFSA. Can she use my and my husband's info? Our father provides nothing, and owes the IRS due to not filing taxes. He has no tax information to give. What are our options? Thank you!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/29/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If you and your husband are NOT legal guardians for your sister - she may NOT use your tax information for FAFSA purposes regardless if you claim her as a dependent.
She would need to use parent's information.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But he has no information to give?

What do you mean - "no information" - ?
If your father had NO income - your sister woudl state so on FAFSA application.
But if he has income - that income must be stated even no tax return is filed.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney