Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a reverse mortgage from Reverse Mortgage solutions. I…

Customer Question
I have a reverse mortgage...
I have a reverse mortgage from Reverse Mortgage solutions. I received a statement that shows Interest accrued for the year and added to the balance $3,525.41 and a MIP paid to HUD and added to balance $6,816.09 I also received a 1098 form showing 2310.28. What can I take off my 2015 tax return. thanks
***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
3/28/2016
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 2 years ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

You can only deduct mortgage interest and property taxes. Home owner insurance is not deductible as well as anything that is accrued and anything paid into escrow.

what about the discrepancy on the reported 1098 and the amount on the summary statement of 3525.41

You always go what's on your tax statement. Reports are for informational purposes only. $3525 is the loan balance, not the interest. If the interest is accrued, it is also not deductible.

Because reverse mortgages are not traditional mortgages, what you can deduct is very limited. Because most of the interest is accrued (not paid), it is not currently deductible. You can only deduct what you actually paid, not what you will in the future.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.