How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Anderson Your Own Question
Mark Anderson
Mark Anderson, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 541
Experience:  Tax attorney and accountant
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark Anderson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have a working interest in an oil well. YTD investment of

Customer Question

have a working interest in an oil well. YTD investment of $24K and oil/gas income of $820. I assumed i would report on schedule C ..income of $820 and depletion allowance of $18.9K? That said, there is no benefit of the depletion allowance flowing thru to my 1040?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: that's about it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Anderson replied 1 year ago.

You only have income of $820. It would only reduce your income. There is a limit:

Taxable income limit. If you are an independent producer or royalty owner of oil and gas, your deduction for percentage depletion is limited to the smaller of the following.

  • 100% of your taxable income from the property figured without the deduction for depletion and the deduction for domestic production activities under section 199 of the Internal Revenue Code. For a definition of taxable income from the property, see Taxable income limit , earlier, under Mineral Property .

  • 65% of your taxable income from all sources, figured without the depletion allowance, the deduction for domestic production activities, any net operating loss carryback, and any capital loss carryback.

You can carry over to the following year any amount you cannot deduct because of the 65%-of-taxable-income limit. Add it to your depletion allowance (before applying any limits) for the following year.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The YTD investment i mentioned is all intangible drilling costs. Can I expense 70% in the initial year
Expert:  Mark Anderson replied 1 year ago.

Yes. According to the following:

Intangible Drilling Costs

The costs of developing oil, gas, or geothermal wells are ordinarily capital expenditures. You can usually recover them through depreciation or depletion. However, you can elect to deduct intangible drilling costs (IDCs) as a current business expense. These are certain drilling and development costs for wells in the United States in which you hold an operating or working interest. You can deduct only costs for drilling or preparing a well for the production of oil, gas, or geothermal steam or hot water.

You can elect to deduct only the costs of items with no salvage value. These include wages, fuel, repairs, hauling, and supplies related to drilling wells and preparing them for production. Your cost for any drilling or development work done by contractors under any form of contract is also an IDC. However, see Amounts paid to contractor that must be capitalized , later.

You can also elect to deduct the cost of drilling exploratory bore holes to determine the location and delineation of offshore hydrocarbon deposits if the shaft is capable of conducting hydrocarbons to the surface on completion. It does not matter whether there is any intent to produce hydrocarbons.

If you do not elect to deduct your IDCs as a current business expense, you can elect to deduct them over the 60-month period beginning with the month they were paid or incurred.

Amounts paid to contractor that must be capitalized. Amounts paid to a contractor must be capitalized if they are either:

  • Amounts properly allocable to the cost of depreciable property, or

  • Amounts paid only out of production or proceeds from production if these amounts are depletable income to the recipient.

How to make the election. You elect to deduct IDCs as a current business expense by taking the deduction on your income tax return for the first tax year you have eligible costs. No formal statement is required. If you file Schedule C (Form 1040), enter these costs under “Other expenses.”

For oil and gas wells, your election is binding for the year it is made and for all later years. For geothermal wells, your election can be revoked by the filing of an amended return on which you do not take the deduction. You can file the amended return for the year up to the normal time of expiration for filing a claim for credit or refund, generally, within 3 years after the date you filed the original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.

Energy credit for costs of geothermal wells. If you capitalize the drilling and development costs of geothermal wells that you place in service during the tax year, you may be able to claim a business energy credit. See the Instructions for Form 3468 for more information.

Nonproductive well. If you capitalize your IDCs, you have another option if the well is nonproductive. You can deduct the IDCs of the nonproductive well as an ordinary loss. You must indicate and clearly state your election on your tax return for the year the well is completed. Once made, the election for oil and gas wells is binding for all later years. You can revoke your election for a geothermal well by filing an amended return that does not claim the loss.

Costs incurred outside the United States. You cannot deduct as a current business expense all the IDCs paid or incurred for an oil, gas, or geothermal well located outside the United States. However, you can elect to include the costs in the adjusted basis of the well to figure depletion or depreciation. If you do not make this election, you can deduct the costs over the 10-year period beginning with the tax year in which you paid or incurred them. These rules do not apply to a nonproductive well.