How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3470
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a speech pathologist in Texas and want to work in

Customer Question

I am a speech pathologist in Texas and want to work in California half the year. I have a clinic that I own and operate in Texas and want to do free lance work in California and Nevada. I want to stay in a Vbro instead of a hotel but don't know if I get the same tax benefits
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 1 year ago.

The IRS rules for deducting expenses are as follows; the expense has to be reasonable, ordinary, and necessary. SEE BELOW:

To be deductible, a business expense must be both ordinary and necessary. An ordinary expense is one that is common and accepted in your trade or business. A necessary expense is one that is helpful and appropriate for your trade or business. An expense does not have to be indispensable to be considered necessary.

From an IRS standpoint, a vacation rental is not considered an ordinary and necessary expense. However, that is not to say that the they will not allow the expense. If the amount of lodging equates to the amount that you would pay for a reasonably priced hotel, they might allow it. The IRS looks at such matters on an individual basis. However, if you intend to work in these other locations on a regular basis, the expenses incurred will not be deductible. SEE BELOW:


you can deduct travel expenses paid or incurred in connection with a temporary work assignment away from home. However, you cannot deduct travel expenses paid in connection with an indefinite work assignment. Any work assignment in excess of one year is considered indefinite. Also, you may not deduct travel expenses at a work location if you realistically expect that you will work there for more than one year, whether or not you actually work there that long. If you realistically expect to work at a temporary location for one year or less, and the expectation changes so that at some point you realistically expect to work there for more than one year, travel expenses become nondeductible when your expectation changes.


Let me know if you require further assistance with this matter. If all is clear, a positive rating of 3 or more stars is appreciated.