Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

IS THERE A CODE SECTION STATION DUES HOUR SHIFTS 'S

Customer Question
IS THERE A CODE SECTION...
IS THERE A CODE SECTION FOR DEDUCTING STATION DUES FOR 24 HOUR SHIFTS FOR EMT'S BECAUSE AN EA FRIEND OF MINE SAID THERE IS NO PER DIEM JUST STATION DUES AND DIDN'T TELL ME HOW TO FIGURE THE DEDUCTION. ALSO I HEARD THAT STATION DUES ARE 100% DEDUCTIBLE UNLIKE MEALS IS THIS TRUE ?
THANKS I JUST NEED SOME SUBSTANTIATION FOR THIS TO PLACE IN MY FILE . THANKS
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/27/2016
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 1 year ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Per diem is a daily allowance for expenses—a specific amount of money an organization gives an individual, often an employee, per day to cover living expenses when traveling for work.

What are these station dues that you speak of. It sounds like this is something totally different than per diem. What is covered under station dues?

You might find the blog at the following link to be of interest to you.

http://my.firefighternation.com/forum/topics/firefighter-deductions-meals?q=forum/topics/firefighter-deductions-meals

Tax Professional: Mark Anderson, Tax Attorney replied 1 year ago
Mark Anderson
Mark Anderson, Tax Attorney

Here are the two questions that need to be answered, 1.) You are a EMT and you and the others in your station voluntarily agree to put money into a food (meal) fund. 2.) You are a EMT and your employer, as a condition of employment, requires all EMT to pay into or have a payroll deduction that is put into a meal fund.

Basically: #1 - no deduction; #2 - deduction

Meal expenses are deductible under code Sec. 162(a) if the employee is required as a condition of employment to remain on the premises and purchases a meal from his employer. This would also apply, among others, to police, paramedics, and air traffic controllers.

Here is a link with some useful information for EMTs and firefighters:

http://www.hultgren.org/news/05/05-014.html

Sec. 162(a)

Mark Anderson
Mark Anderson
Mark Anderson, Tax Attorney