Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Client with nanny paid taxes on her behalf and ny. We are

Customer Question
quot;for Lane" client with nanny...
quot;for Lane" client with nanny paid taxes on her behalf for fed and ny. We are seeing the household employment taxes on the 1040 line 60A but they are getting a large ny refund and we are NOT seeing the equivalent NY taxes added to their return for having this nanny and having paid taxes on her behalf.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/27/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

I can TRY to help here, but this sounds like it may be a software issue ...

...

Just to provide some general info, they're supposed to register, using an EIN and then within 20 days of hiring report info about the individual, and then pay in and file with the NYS-45

...

Let me be getting that for you and maybe you can tell me what software your using?

New employer registration

You must register as an employer with New York State if:

• you pay cash wages totalling $500 or more in a calendar quarter, or
  • you pay less than $500 cash wages in a calendar quarter and you choose to cover your employee(s) for unemployment insurance, or
  • you and your employee agree to withhold New York State income tax from your employee’s wages.

To register, you must have a federal employer identification number (EIN). To get your federal EIN:

• apply online with the IRS (www.irs.gov);
  • call the IRS Business and Specialty Tax Line at 1(###) ###-#### *****
  • mail or fax federal Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number, to the IRS.

After you have your EIN, register with New York State by:

• applying online with the New York State Department of Labor (DOL);
  • calling DOL at 1(###) ###-####or(###) ###-#### *****
  • calling the Tax Department at(###) ###-####

Within 20 days of the hiring date, you must report to the Tax Department certain identifying information about each newly hired or rehired household employee working in New York State.

The hiring date is the first day any services are performed for which your employee will be paid wages or other compensation.

You will need the following information:

• employee name (first, middle initial, last);
  • employee address (street, city, state, and ZIP code);
  • employee social security number;
  • employee hire date;
  • your name;
  • your address (street, city, state, and ZIP code);
  • your employer federal EIN (assigned by IRS); and
  • information about dependent health insurance benefits, and if available, the date the employee qualifies for the benefits.

You can report new hire information online via the Tax Department New Hire Web site at www.nynewhire.com.

If you do not have internet access, you can report the required information by having your employee completeForm IT-2104, Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate, or Form IT-2104-E, Certificate of Exemption from Withholding.

If you pay cash wages totaling $500 or more in a calendar quarter, you must:

• pay New York State unemployment insurance taxes,
  • report employee wage information, and
  • report the availability of dependent health insurance.

Use Form NYS-45, Quarterly Combined Withholding, Wage Reporting, and Unemployment Insurance Return, and Form NYS-45-ATT, Quarterly Combined Withholding, Wage Reporting, and Unemployment Insurance Return – Attachment, if applicable.

You can file your Form NYS-45 online through the Unemployment Insurance Online Services.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney