Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

This relates to form 8889. My employer contributed $750 year…

Customer Question
This relates to form 8889...
This relates to form 8889 for HSA. My employer contributed $750 for tax year 2015 but I was not enrolled in a high deductible health plan in 2015. How do I fill out line 1 and line 3 of form 8889? I don't think the last month rule applies but perhaps it does because I have contributions but was not enrolled during any of the months of 2015 in a hi deduct health plan? If so, how do I fill out line 18-21?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
3/26/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

The issue is that if you was not enrolled in a high deductible health plan in 2015 - you are not eligible for HSA contribution - and regardless if contributions weer made by you or by your employer - that would be over contributed amount - and subject to excise tax if not distributed before the due date of your tax return.
what you need to do - communicate with the administrator of your HSA account - and inform that you are not eligible - they will do corrective actions.

You will need to include all contributed amounts into your taxable income as you are not eligible for HSA.
Meanwhile - I suggest to file for extension - so you will have some additional time if corrective actions would not be completed by Apr 15.

.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you will all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor