How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15720
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do you report income in respect of a Decedent (IRD)? We

Customer Question

How do you report income in respect of a Decedent (IRD)? We cannot locate any info on Turbo Tax or anywhere else. My sister passed away on 12/22/2015 after spending basically the entire year (Stroke on January 10, 2015) in an in home health care facility. When she was placed in the facility we cashed in her annuity to pay for her monthly expenses since health insurance did not cover it. Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


The final individual income tax return of a decedent is prepared and filed in the same manner as when they were alive. All income up to the date of death must be reported and all credits and deductions to which the decedent is entitled may be claimed. File the return using Form 1040 or, if the decedent qualifies, one of the simpler forms in the 1040 series (Forms 1040-A or 1040-EZ).

The income your sister had in 2015 would be included on her final return this includes the annuity that was cashed in on her behalf.

If your sister is due a refund of any individual income tax (Form 1040), you may claim that refund using IRS Form 1310, Statement of a Person Claiming Refund Due a Deceased Taxpayer.

Please accept my condolences and I hope this information is helpful.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Checking to see if you responded

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need more information than I have supplied already.