How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephen G. Your Own Question
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7118
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Stephen G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter (19) and her baby(9mos) are recipient of

Customer Question

My daughter (19) and her baby(9mos) are recipient of Medicaid(Foodstamps and Doctors).She is married and live at another location. Her income was 590.00 and her husband 2600.00, I support almost 90% of expenses(rent, cash,clothing, etc. They lived with me for 6 months. She is a full time student. Her husband will file married separately in order to get a $45.00 refunds. I would like to claim my daughter and granddaughter as dependents. But I am afraid they may loose Medicaid benefits. We live in Miami.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I don't know. May be she should ask me the questions>Thanks
JA: Our top Accountant is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Accountant in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Accountant until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

Well, the question is has your daughter disclosed your financial support in the Medicaid/Foodstamp applications?

What will she say if she is asked if she is being claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return?

There's no way to give a definitive answer for Medicaid. However, based upon the information you provided, you are eligible to claim your daughter & grandchild as dependents on your 2015 return.

If your daughter & her husband live together, why don't you give your son-in-law $50. and tell him to forget filing his own tax return as you are going to claim him as a dependent. Like your daughter & grandchild, your son-in-law doesn't have to live with you.

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in...............

I see that you have been able to review my response; do you have any further follow-up questions?

If not, please remember to rate my response as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Thanks very much,

Steve G.