Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My daughter (19) and her baby(9mos) are recipient of

Customer Question
Medicaid(Foodstamps and Doctors).She is married...
My daughter (19) and her baby(9mos) are recipient of Medicaid(Foodstamps and Doctors).She is married and live at another location. Her income was 590.00 and her husband 2600.00, I support almost 90% of expenses(rent, cash,clothing, etc. They lived with me for 6 months. She is a full time student. Her husband will file married separately in order to get a $45.00 refunds. I would like to claim my daughter and granddaughter as dependents. But I am afraid they may loose Medicaid benefits. We live in Miami.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I don't know. May be she should ask me the questions>Thanks
JA: Our top Accountant is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Accountant in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Accountant until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/25/2016
Tax Professional: Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert replied 1 year ago
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

Well, the question is has your daughter disclosed your financial support in the Medicaid/Foodstamp applications?

What will she say if she is asked if she is being claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return?

There's no way to give a definitive answer for Medicaid. However, based upon the information you provided, you are eligible to claim your daughter & grandchild as dependents on your 2015 return.

If your daughter & her husband live together, why don't you give your son-in-law $50. and tell him to forget filing his own tax return as you are going to claim him as a dependent. Like your daughter & grandchild, your son-in-law doesn't have to live with you.

Just checking in...............

I see that you have been able to review my response; do you have any further follow-up questions?

If not, please remember to rate my response as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Thanks very much,

Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert