Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If my husband waived s homestead rights to our home when I

Customer Question
If my husband waived his...
If my husband waived his homestead rights to our home when I purchased can his tax lien be attached to our house.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/25/2016
Tax Professional: Anne, Master Tax Preparer replied 1 year ago
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer

Hi

I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 27 years and I'll be happy to help you

If you, or your husband owes more than $5000 in back taxes, or in child support or student loans (since the IRS will seize any refund to pay these debts), then they can try to put a lien against your home.

The fact that he waived any rights to your home, if not in writing and recorded with the County Clerk where you live, won't stop any liens. When you say that he waived his rights, does that mean that only your name is ***** ***** deed? Did he give you a quit claim deed?

Seizing your residence requires a court order. If the IRS threatens to do so, contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service immediately. Please see below:

https://www.irs.gov/Advocate

Offer to make arrangements to pay the taxes owed. A second home or vacation place, can be levied without a court order.

If this answer has helped you, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

Anne
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer