How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15738
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have twin that are nineteen and live at home. I will claim

Customer Question

I have twin that are nineteen and live at home. I will claim them on my taxes as dependants. When I do there taxes separate how do they get there refund back and what do they make on there tax for since they are full time students a nd marked as dependants on mine?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


When you do their returns you need to make sure you mark (line 5 on 1040EZ) that they can be claimed. This will mean that they are not using their personal exemption (because you are by claiming them).

Them getting their refund back is going to depend on their actual taxable income. They will not have their personal exemption so only their standard deduction is going to reduce their income.

If they made more than $6,300 they may not get their full withholding back.

You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.
You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do they mark on there tax forms to get a refund if they are claimed as dependents under me because they live at home I want to make sure they get there refunds
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

There is no guarantee that they will get a refund and there is no special place to mark that says they are entitled to a refund just because they are dependents.

You need to mark on Line 5 that they are claimed then you enter the amounts an do the math. If they earned over the $6300 then they will not get back all they had withheld.

There is no special treatment for them to get back their withholding.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you are under the impression that students get their withholding back automatically or because they are dependents but they do not.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Checking to see if you responded again

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Just in case your twins question this show them this IRS page,-Excess-FICA,-Students,-Withholding/W-4---Allowances,-Excess-FICA,-Students,-Withholding

I know tax issues can be difficult for new earners to grasp so this should help them understand their status and obligations as tax payers.