Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

On a year end investment statement, it shows no interest and

Customer Question
dividends, but has OID of...
On a year end investment statement, it shows no interest and dividends, but has OID of 9201.08. This will result in a negative adjustment on their tax return. Is this how it gets recorded? I wasn't going to record it on schedule B because there is no other interest to offset it and did not want to show a negative income on the return. Please let me know if I am correct. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 day by:
3/25/2016
Tax Professional: Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert replied 1 year ago
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

Original Issue Discount is interest income, not an expense or negative adjustment.

Is there a reference to the OID-1099? or is this from a Municipal or other Tax Exempt obligation?

This sounds like a pretty substantial OID amount; is it only one bond or is there some detail as to what's in the OID.

Is this related to a new investment or did they have it last year?

Just checking in...............

I see that you have been able to review my response; do you have any further follow-up questions?

If not, please remember to rate my response as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Thanks very much,

Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert