How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephen G. Your Own Question
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7118
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Stephen G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On a year end investment statement, it shows no interest and

Customer Question

On a year end investment statement, it shows no interest and dividends, but has OID of 9201.08. This will result in a negative adjustment on their tax return. Is this how it gets recorded? I wasn't going to record it on schedule B because there is no other interest to offset it and did not want to show a negative income on the return. Please let me know if I am correct. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

Original Issue Discount is interest income, not an expense or negative adjustment.

Is there a reference to the OID-1099? or is this from a Municipal or other Tax Exempt obligation?

This sounds like a pretty substantial OID amount; is it only one bond or is there some detail as to what's in the OID.

Is this related to a new investment or did they have it last year?

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in...............

I see that you have been able to review my response; do you have any further follow-up questions?

If not, please remember to rate my response as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Thanks very much,

Steve G.