How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15182
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I gave my 2 kids to my boyfriend to claim because he did

Customer Question

I gave my 2 kids to my boyfriend to claim because he did support my kids for a yr and then I received a IRS letter asking that he need proof of my kids he claim as a dependants and he dont have anything on him. And when I amend now it says he owe 7 thousand but they only gave him 7hundred something. Please help me
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


The proof your boyfriend needs is proof that shows he not only supported them but that they lived with him. That is what he claimed when he entered them as dependents on his tax return.

The reason so much is now owed is most likely Earned Income Credit was claimed. He may have only received $700 in actual refund but if you look at the return there is EIC and that either was used to reduce his tax or applied to some other amount he owed.

If the children did not physically live with this person then there is nothing that can be shown that is going to assist him.

The best he can do is request to pay the amount back over time by an Installment Agreement.