Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What's the EIN homemaker?

Customer Question
what's the EIN for a...
what's the EIN for a homemaker?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/23/2016
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 1 year ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

EIN stands for Employer identification number. It is for businesses, not for individuals. Tax payer ID is his or her social security number. Business tax ID is EIN.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, fine. But the EIN boxes under "Employer" are still required to be completed. What do I put in them?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My SS#?

On what form? Are you an employer? Are you running a business?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, but I am e-filing, and on the "Income" page, it asks me who my employer is. I'm filing "Married, Filing Jointly."

Ok. What's your source of income? What kind of income are you reporting?

Did you get W2 from your employer? Are you self-employed? Did you received unemployment?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I pulled up the 2016 tax return, it already had filled out that I was employed at a store, which I did not work at in 2015.

You need to delete the W2 than. Employer EIN is listed on W2. If you didn't receive it because you didn't work there you need to delete it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did delete it, or rather edit it because that was the option given to me, but the empty boxes remain which require to be filled.

The program will not allow you e-file it with empty W2. You have to remove it. If you didn't work there in 2015 you will have to take it out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I will try. Thank you.
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 1 year ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good morning Penny. I see your prior expert opted out. My name is Richard. Do you need any additional help? Thanks.

Richard, Tax Attorney