How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3274
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In a few days I'm moving to the Netherlands to work company

Customer Question

Hi Pearl
JA: What do you want help with?
Customer: In a few days I'm moving to the Netherlands to work for a company there as a US expat. I currently live in CA and just found out CA charges residents on their global income at full rate. I'd like to try to avoid that if possible. I'm from Portland, OR, where my folks still live, and I'm considering going up tomorrow to quickly establish residency (get a driver's license, register to vote, change all my bank and mailing addresses to my folks' address, basically move in with them before I leave for the Netherlands)
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: So I'm trying to determine Oregon tax laws for expats
JA: Our top Accountant is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Accountant in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Accountant until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To summarize, I'm trying to answer two tax questions:
1. What taxes does Oregon charge expats? I will be gone for at least 12 months working in the Netherlands, being paid by a company in the Netherlands, with no income earned on US soil/from a US company. I believe after 6 months abroad Oregon considers the expat a non-resident and does not charge them on their global income. Can you confirm?
2. If I travel to Oregon tomorrow and get a driver's license, register to vote there, and change all of my mailing/bank addresses to my Oregon address (I do not have any vehicles or homes or anything in CA), will that successfully allow me to claim that I'm no longer a resident of California and instead one of Oregon?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Generally, only individuals domiciled in Oregon are treated as residents of the state for income tax purposes. Domicile is generally defined as the place a person considers to be their true, fixed, permanent home. A domicile is the place a person intends to return to after an absence and you can only have one domicile at a given time. It continues as the domicile until the person demonstrates an intent to abandon it and acquire a new domicile, and later actually resides in the new domicile. Factors that contribute to determining domicile include family, business activities and social connections.

Based on the information you provided, once you establish yourself in Oregon (driver's license, registering to vote, etc.), you will be considered a resident of Oregon for tax purposes.

Generally, most states have the same guidelines when determining residency.

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,