Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am not clear how to do complete the insolvency worksheet.

Customer Question
It states the FMV, on...
I am not clear how to do complete the insolvency worksheet. It states the FMV, on the 401K, can you apply penalties that would be taken? If I have $40,000 in the 401K it would make me solvent, however, if I took it out I would not have that much and the penalties would make me partially insolvent.
Brenda
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/22/2016
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and will assist.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you need any additional information? This is for 1099c. Mortgage discharge

Sorry, had to take a call.

I would report the 401(k) balance at FMV, that is, realizable value after the 10% penalty and taxes due on the account if you were to liquidate it. A $40,000 401(k) might only be worth $26,000 once you pay the 10% penalty and fed/state taxes at 25%. Your rate may be different.

One thing I can add that most people forget is the amount of income taxes, Fed and state, due as of the date of debt relief. A tax due at that date should be counted against assets owned at that date. Most folks don't count that debt.

We have actually calculated a tax as of that date to support a debt inclusion for the worksheet.

This calculation is worth having a tax pro assist with your tax prep. They will have access to all your other figures and be able to advise. Take my suggestions to a pro and let them assist. 982 is not a form I would recommend anyone prepare themselves, and the worksheet has so little guidance that valuation issues and opportunities are things tax pros think about regularly.

Thanks for asking at Just
Answer. Please accept my response, rating my assistance, once you are satisfied. I'm PDtax.

PDtax
PDtax