Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My spouse has not filed taxes yrs. When I discovered this in

Customer Question

My spouse has not filed taxes for several yrs. When I discovered this in early 2000's I had a talk with him, he promised to send in the returns. I paid 3 yrs worth of taxes with my unemployment benefits. I discovered again he had not sent returns in 2008, so I filed by myself.
As a result the IRS is coming after me for the whole amount of 2yrs, over 10,000.00. I don't have a job, living on social security. Cant afford this, living on a little over 1,000.00 per month. Is there anything I can do to stop the threats from the IRS?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Hi Marie,

...

You have a couple of options here; (1) File an offer in Compromise (OIC)

...

Here's IRS' description:

...

"An offer in compromise allows you to settle your tax debt for less than the full amount you owe. It may be a legitimate option if you can't pay your full tax liability, or doing so creates a financial hardship. We consider your unique set of facts and circumstances:

We generally approve an offer in compromise when the amount offered represents the most we can expect to collect within a reasonable period of time. ..."

...

Another option is to set up a payment agreement - If you owe less than $50,000, you can do this online: https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Online-Payment-Agreement-Application

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Yet another option is to provide them with the financial information to show that this would cause financial hardship and ask to be placed in what's called Non-Collectible Status

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

If you'd like I can make what's called an additional Services offer here (I can do this for the smallest Amount JustAnswer will allow -$5)

...

which would allow us to discuss ALL of your options

...

Let me know

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

...

Let me know…

...

Thanks

Lane