Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We got a bill from the IRS saying we owe $14k more than we

Customer Question
Hi we got a bill...
Hi we got a bill from the IRS saying we owe $14k more than we actually do. It was from a business a friend was running from our paypal account so I am unsure what to do and researching it all
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: our friends business had $377k worth of transactions but we only made a few thousand from it and I wrote off the amount as paid to his business
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/21/2016
Tax Professional: Peter Griesch,
 replied 1 year ago
Peter Griesch
What is the notice called that you received? Was it a notice of deficiency?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
proposed amount due
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It says the proposed amount due is $14,326
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I didn't mean to click on the call me button
Tax Professional: Peter Griesch,
 replied 1 year ago
Is there a letter number? Have you been in contact with an IRS agent?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Notice number CP2000, AUR Control Number###-##-####no agent has contacted us
Tax Professional: Peter Griesch,
 replied 1 year ago
Got it. That means that the business of which you were a part of reported information regarding your income to the IRS that does not match what you reported on your return.What you should do is contact the business with your friend and ask that they correct the information reported.You should also respond to the notice explaining that the business incorrectly reported your income, and that you're working with the business to correct the report.If you have documentation to substantiate the income you received, you should also include copies with your response.Finally, if there is a person listed on the letter, I would contact him or her directly. If not, ask that you be contacted by an agent in your response. It is much easier to resolve a matter when dealing with an assigned agent, as opposed to random agents at a service center.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you! I will start with those steps.
Tax Professional: Peter Griesch,
 replied 1 year ago
You're welcome.Please let me know if you have any additional questions.Also, please remember to rate my response.Thank you.
Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch