Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I had obamacare as a single mother and I received subsidies

Customer Question
I had obamacare as a...
I had obamacare as a single mother and I received subsidies on my insurance. I paid obamacare from Jan through Oct (the month I was married) and went to have our taxes done and we are being penalized $4,300.00 for obamacare subsidies.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My income did not change prior to getting married and so my subsidy would be correct. But the month I was married I would gladly pay the difference, then I went on his B/C B/S insurance after we were married so the subsidy payment is MUTE. How do we go around this as our tax account already filed our taxes, but I know this cannot be right as my husband was not married to me prior and he should not have to pay the penalty on his (our) taxes and I shouldn't pay the subsidy as I was making the same amount of money prior to marriage that they pro-rated the subsidy on. HELP!
3/21/2016
Tax Professional: Anne, Master Tax Preparer replied 1 year ago
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer

Hi

I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 27 years and I'll be happy to help you.

You are correct that there is an adjustment for those folks who get married mid year. Please see below:

http://obamacarefacts.com/questions/how-do-tax-credits-work-when-getting-married/

Please print this information , and take it to your tax preparer. If they don't understand how to calculate the 8962 form when you are married mid year, then ask if anyone else in their office is "up" to all of this information. If there is no one, then start calling tax preparers, CPA,s or Enrolled Agents to see if they know how to calculate the penalty on Form 8962, and if they will amend your tax return for you.

If this answer has helped you, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer

Anne
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer