Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have an HSA that was funded all after tax money. How can I

Customer Question
I have an HSA that...
I have an HSA that was funded all after tax money. How can I report and correct for that, so I don't pay taxes twice?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/22/2016
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 1 year ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you have high deductible plan and funded your own HSA (not through your employer or withholding from your paychecks), you will deduct it on line 25 of 1040 to make it pre-tax. You will also have to include form 8889 with your return.

George, I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where are my contributions on the 8889 made since line 25 comes from there? (I don't think you gave me a complete enough answer)

You have to start with 8889. You start with the line 1 by choosing your plan and put your contribution on line 2. You follow the lines down to the line 13. Your contribution will be carried over from line 13 to line 25 on 1040.

emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser