How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 39043
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Tax Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a client who is a VP and asked me to help her with

Customer Question

Hello. I have a client who is a VP and asked me to help her with her taxes. She had $109,000 in moving expenses and some of that is included on her W2 in wages and some has been paid directly to a vendor. She has zero paid for moving day.
I guess it's a little confusing because they included some moving(taxable) expenses in wages and paid some taxes on it and included that on her W2 also. I don't want to deduct something I shouldn't nor do I want to leave out something I should include.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.


The issue here is quite straight forward. If the moving expenses are reported in Box 12 on the W-2, then they are deductible on Form 3903. Otherwise, the expenses are not deductible.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!