How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4623
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I owe back taxes in RI and 14. The amount due is $56k of

Customer Question

I owe back taxes in RI for 13 and 14.
The amount due is $56k of which ,24k is penalty and interest.
I am now in a position to pay them $32k but was wondering if the penalties and interest can be reduced and/or waived.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax. I'll assist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've already provided the info
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

You can "request that penalties be abated where there was no negligence or intentional disregard of the law" from RI taxpayer's rights,

Best is to ask for the abatement when you are ready to full pay. Expect that there will be interest due on the taxes, so you might be looking at a higher amount to close things out.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi again. PDtax here. A few days have passed since I last responded.

If my answer met your needs, please rate my assistance and accept my answer to close out your inquiry.