Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

What if I put the wrong account number on my tax return?

Customer Question

Filing status Single, Return amount $1620.00. I made a mistake when I put my bank account number, I included my check number. It's holding up my return. The last 4 numbers 0152 should be deleted. I could really use your help.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

If the return has not already posted to the IRS system, you can ask the IRS to stop the direct deposit. You may call them toll-free at 800 - 829 - 1040, M - F, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. If the refund date is posted then they cannot stop this action.

Generally, if the financial institution recovers the funds and returns them to the IRS, the IRS will send a paper refund check to your last known address on file with the IRS.

The IRS handles account or routing number errors as follows:

• You omit a digit in the account or routing number of an account and the number does not pass the IRS's validation check. In this case, the IRS will send you a paper check for the entire refund instead of a direct deposit.
  • You incorrectly enter an account or routing number and the number passes the validation check but your designated financial institution rejects and returns the deposit to the IRS. The IRS will issue a paper check for that portion of your refund once received.
  • You incorrectly enter an account or routing number that belongs to someone else and your designated financial institution accepts the deposit. You must work directly with the respective financial institution to recover your funds.

There is seldom anything you can do to fix this once you send. Putting in the wrong account generally results in you having to wait for a paper check.