Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I wanted to go over my tax return -i received an email that

Customer Question

i wanted to go over my tax return for 2015-i received an email that i could talk to a tax expert for free with a 7 day trial membership
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean by "go over"?

If you have specific questions about parts of your tax return (what type of entity are you talking about?), you can ask them here with a series of questions by topic, so to "go over" a tax return may involve several topics & several different questions all of which would be covered by any trial offer you have received. As experts, we don't have access to the administration dealings of the site; we are just users the same as you are only on the other side of the desk; we are compensation on a question by question basis so while it makes no difference to you, it does to us; so basically it benefits both of us; us directly & you indirectly if you split up your questions by topic.

All that said, how can I assist you right here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello-yes iam wondering if you can double check my return-that i've got the #'s down right & in the right place, especially that i've got all the deductions & credits entered that i qualify for. And can i offset my capital gains for this yr. with net capital losses from other yrs?-also i have medical expenses & lawyer fees-can i use those as deductions.What about b.c sls tax credit -do i qualify for that .-other credits/deductions? Basically i want help to maximize my refund or minimize my amount payable. What is best way to do this-do you want me to email you my tax receipts so you can do a return for it then we compare our returns? or talk over phone -any extra charge for that?-other options to do this analysis?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there-did you get my message?
Expert:  BK-CPA replied 1 year ago.

I'm not going to basically prepare your return for free in an attempt to go over with you, but I'll probably do it for between $100 and $200 depending on the complexity. Does that interest you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the $ 52.00 would be on top of what i already initially paid with the 1st tax person?, which was 39.00
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i don't want to do it over phone right now-i need more information
Expert:  BK-CPA replied 1 year ago.

Ok I'll opt out. As an FYI, JustAnswers has taken a deposit from you apparently but you haven't paid anything because you must give a rating on the answer before you are charged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i received an email from justanswer that i could talk to a tax expert for free- with a 7 day free trial membership-to double check my tax return-so am wondering how you normally do that-the message before was a suggestion -emailing receipts & then comparing return results .
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Hi - My name is lane.

...

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security & Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986.

...

I'd like to try to help find a win-win here. A win-win between essentially doing your tax return for (something I will not do for less than $500) in my private practice ... and what this forum is intended; providing answers to questions.

...

We expert users are users just as you are, although we operate under a terms of service (contract about what we can or cannot do), have our credentials verified, and must pass tests in our subject areas.

...

The way the site works is as follows: we see questions on a question list, it has an offered price, we can choose to take a question or not. These questions (in line with the title of the site; Just Answer) have a good chance of getting answered if they represent what this site does well - provide excellent, highly credentialed experts to answer questions that can BE answered without taking too much of our valuable time.

...

The system itself self-corrects ... what you are seeing here with your question is (much more than an answer about the way a particular form is done, whether or not a tax deduction can be taken, how a given tax relief, tax credit or tax credit works, help with a particular tax problem, or even underlying tax policy or legislative intent of a rule to provide a deep understanding of the "why," something works the way it does,etc., etc. - I hope this gets the point across) a situation where the system is telling you that your offer - the experts do NOT receive everything you pay JustAnswer, by the way - is far too low for the very large question you've asked.

...

What I'd like to offer is an answer to the questions you've already asked and then some follow-up to clarify as many things as we can, without lowering my crediting for the time/effort spent so low that this works for neither of us (we are only paid once you rate positively, can be paid only once on a question thread like this, and the frequency of times that we return to a thread to answer a follow-up, a clarification, or (hopefully not) a completely different question, again, lowers our crediting per time/effort spent.

....

On your first question, yes, I'll take a quick look at your return (but you must accept what's called an "additional services offer."). I'll do so for the smallest amount that JustAnswer will allow ($5), so that you can send your return privately... a private/encrypted link will open where we can enter out email and/or phone number... that's the only way not to have everyone that's on the site see what you send.

...

Until you accept that offer, you are working in a public venue.

...

To your second question; Yes, you CERTAINLY can use capital losses from a prior year to offset capital gains from a current tax year (AND an additional 3000 against ORDINARY income) and can do so for every year going forward into the future, until those losses are used up.

...

To your third question; the general logic around "deduct-ability" of attorneys fees is that they are deductible when the income from the award or settlement is taxable. Awards and settlements for physical injury, sickness, wrongful death, etc. are not taxable and the attorney's fees for those actions are not deductible. Awards and settlements that ARE taxable, lost wages, workplace discrimination, essentially actions that will generate income that would HAVE BEEN taxable or protect the ability to earning income or profits) ARE taxable, and the attorneys fees there ARE deductible.

...

To your fourth question; GO here and you'll a fairly exhaustive list of what medical expenses are deductible and even the logic that's used (for example cosmetic procedures are not deductible). When these expenses are above 10% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI - found at the bottom of page 1 of the 1040) - 7.5% if you or your spouse are ag65 or older - they become deductible.

...

I hope this helps to provide a foundation.

...

We can also have a discussion (either via email or phone) that would be absolutely necessary before trying to see which of the multitude of tax deductions and and credits might apply to YOUR situation.

...

But again your sending your return for review and that conversation should take place outside the JustAnswer conduit (directly using our respective emails and/or phone discussions) or else we are making your information public, which I will NOT do.

...

If you are getting emails from JustAnswer, those emails are not coming from expert users, they are coming through JustAnswer and to work through that conduit (give the level of specificity/detail for which you ask) would not provide the confidentiality that is both a legality and an obligation of my professional designations.

...

Let me know if you'd like to (1) continue in this forum in the somewhat abbreviated manner Q & A manner for which it was intended, or (2) accept the additional services offer to drill down more. (I'll make the offer once I post this. if you accept there will be a private link where you and I can provide the contact info.) I'll enter both my office phone and my office email, and we can work directly from there.

...

Lane

...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your information & offer-couple things-what will be the final cost charged to me to complete the process of reviewing my return on top of your initial 5.00 start-up. If we communicate via phone -will there be additional charges there?-. Just to re-iterate what i am looking for. I have completed my 2015 return online with tax software.I have all my tax slips. What i want is a review of the return to make sure i've entered the correct amts in their proper place-
Plus i want to know if there are any deductions or credits that i missed & can claim.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

The $5 offer is simply to allow us to speak. I will NOT do the extensive work you are describing for my portion of what you've paid JustAnswer. (Whatever that is).

...

Again, we expert users DO NOT handle pricing or subscription issues. We are not allowed to discuss those issues with non-expert users.

...

What is happening here is you are ask for what amounts to the preparation of a tax return.

...

NOT the data, anyone can do that, but the expertise needed to make the assessments you are so COMPLETELY under-pricing.

...

I know enough about the system to tell you that when we make an offer, that is on top of whatever you may have paiud JustAnswer

...

I also know enough about the system to tell you that everyone you have spoken to here (NOT customer service, JustAnswer Employees, but us expert users) has not been credited at ALL ... and will NOT be until your rate.

....

If you'd like to accept the offer, we can speak MUCH more efficiently and get to the bottom of what might work for you.

...

I can also tell you that if you continue to ask for what the market typically pays 250 to 500 (much more if your situation is complicated) you will get no help.

...

If you'd like to split your questions up into smaller finite questions THEN you may get someone to help you (at the price you are offering)