How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15308
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother babysat my child age 7 over the summer and we paid

Customer Question

My mother babysat my child age 7 over the summer and we paid her $1500.00 I am able to claim this on my flexible spending account and get reimbursed.... my question is: does my mother age 66 receiving social security and working 2 days a week have to report the 1500 as income since I am claiming it on my flex account?
We did not take out taxes because my understanding is we do not have to unless it is over 1800.00
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, your mother does need to report her income. She was paid for a service and that amount is income to her.

Generally, an amount included in your income is taxable unless it is specifically exempted by law. Income that is taxable must be reported on your return and is subject to tax.

Your mother needs to report the amount.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Checking to see if you responded