Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My mother babysat my child age 7 over the summer and we paid

Customer Question
her $1500.00 I...
My mother babysat my child age 7 over the summer and we paid her $1500.00 I am able to claim this on my flexible spending account and get reimbursed.... my question is: does my mother age 66 receiving social security and working 2 days a week have to report the 1500 as income since I am claiming it on my flex account?
We did not take out taxes because my understanding is we do not have to unless it is over 1800.00
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/18/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Yes, your mother does need to report her income. She was paid for a service and that amount is income to her.

Generally, an amount included in your income is taxable unless it is specifically exempted by law. Income that is taxable must be reported on your return and is subject to tax.

Your mother needs to report the amount.

Checking to see if you responded

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4