Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I inherited mineral rights in new mexico in 2002 got a

Customer Question
little money each year. now...
I inherited mineral rights in new mexico in 2002 got a little money each year. now I have sold them. no one know the cost basis for our inheritance. what do we do to establish that. I was the executor and messed up I guess.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: i have always used turbo tax and not a cpa. do i need to go to a cpa this year? thanks
JA: Our top Accountant is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Accountant in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Accountant until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/18/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

Back when the rights were transferred you should have had a valuation so if you were the executor, yes you messed up.

Your best start is now the county courthouse. Many list the valuation of the mineral rights with the land. You can go back to the last year prior to inheriting.

TurboTax cannot help you find the basis. A CPA will most likely not do that research for you either.

Get your value on the date of death so you know what that was when inherited and then you can report the sell yourself.

It goes on 8949 and Schedule D.

If you do not find the fair market value when you inherited then you have to use $0 and that means all is gain and taxable.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

You need to stay in this thread

Please post below so I know you understand

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4