How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15601
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I are retired and on social security. My

Customer Question

My husband and I are retired and on social security. My husband runs a repair business from our home. Should I file separately and his social security taxes with his business?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


If you file married filing separate then all your SS base for determining taxable portion is $0. That may make you pay tax on your SS benefits if you have other income yourself.

The best way to tell if a couple should file joint or separate is to prepare the returns both ways. That is the only way to know for certain. So first do your returns joint then do your return separate and see if you owe more one way or the other before you both decide how you wish to file.