How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 586
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was in a car accident last year and received SDI

Customer Question

My son was in a car accident last year and received SDI for 11 months. Does he have to file his own taxes or can we claim him as our dependent?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

If he only received SDI, he wouldn't have to file a tax return.

The dependency question in this case would depend upon whether you furnished more than 1/2 of his support.

Did he live with you?

How old is your son.

Did he have any earned income at all?