Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I moved out of California in 2014. In 2015 I received a

Customer Question

I moved out of California in 2014. In 2015 I received a 1099-R and the state was listed as CA (I think because I didn't change my address on file right away). Is there a way to exclude this from my income in California so I don't have to pay tax on it?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I can assist you with this question

http://www.justanswer.com/tax/9lhdm-form-1099-r-box-code-l1-subject.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is a link to another question
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

If there is no CA tax withheld then when you enter the 1099R do not denote that it is CA. If the move was made in 2014 then no retirement would be taxable to CA that was received in 2015.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tax was withheld even though I didn't live there. They didn't update my address until 3 months into the year. If I didn't live in CA at all in 2015 none of my income should be taxable right?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

That is correct

Then report on Nonresident return and make sure that none of the 1099R shows as actual income. You want to make the income $0 but the taxes withheld shown.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Please complete this session too