How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in NJ but own an apartment in NYC that I rent out. If

Customer Question

I live in NJ but own an apartment in NYC that I rent out. If the property produced a loss after expenses do I need to file a NY or NYC tax return? I have no other income in NY aside from that.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 1 year ago.

You should be filing a NY State non-resident return whether or not the venture is profitable. On that return you will also be filing a NYC non-resident return. They use the one form for this. The reason behind the filing requirement is that NYS/NYC do not know if there is a profit or loss unless you file.

Related Tax Questions