Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can I deduct the excise tax that I paid when selling real…

Can I deduct the excise...
Can I deduct the excise tax that I paid when selling real estate in Washington state on my income tax?
3/17/2016
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You cannot deduct it directly your tax return but you add it to you basis for calculating capital gains. To figure out your capital gains you will take the purchase price, deduct depreciation (if used for business), add capital (major) improvements, expenses of sale (including all taxes and RE commission) and deduct it from the sale price (not the final proceeds).

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.

emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser