How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55136
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a tenant in common with a real estate investment group

Customer Question

I am a tenant in common with a real estate investment group who holds property for sale to developers. Annually we incur various kinds of expenses such as property taxes, legal fees, etc. I am entitled to claim these expenses on my tax return. I do not know what form they should be claimed on nor what info I need to furnish related to the tenant in common status.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good evening Gary. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Yes, you can deduct these investment expenses. Pursuant to IRS Publication 550 ( "To deduct your investment expenses, you must itemize deductions on Schedule A (Form 1040). Enter your deductible investment interest expense on Schedule A (Form 1040), line 14. Include any deductible short sale expenses. (See Short Sales in chapter 4 for information on these expenses.) Also attach a completed Form 4952 if you used that form to figure your investment interest expense. Enter the total amount of your other investment expenses (other than interest expenses) on Schedule A (Form 1040), line 23. List the type and amount of each expense on the dotted lines next to line 23. (If necessary, you can show the required information on an attached statement.)."

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!