Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My husband passed away 5 years ago. I am questioning if I am

Customer Question

My husband passed away 5 years ago. I am questioning if I am entitled to receive survivor's income. Thank you, ******** Kingston TN
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Hi Betty, I can help here.

..

A widow or widower may be able to get full benefits at full retirement age. The full retirement age for survivors is age 66 for people born in 1945-1956 and will gradually increase to age 67 for people born in 1962 or later.

...

You can get reduced benefits as early as age 60. If a surviving spouse is disabled, benefits can begin as early as age 50.

...

You can read more about this directly FROM Social Security here: www.socialsecurity.gov/survivorplan

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

If you need to apply for benefits, call 1-***-***-****

...

You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday.

...

You can also contact your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to speak to someone.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

By the way, here's a list of documents that you'll need when applying:

...

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-10.html

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

..

And if you'd like I can help you work through whether or not Survivors benefits may be available ,,, but to apply, you'll have to do that directly through Social Security (as mentioned above

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

I hope this has helped.

...

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd really appreciate a positive rating (using the rating request, faces, or stars on your screen)

...

That's the only way I'll be credited for the work here.

...

Thank you!

Lane