How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15711
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a on IDDR and recently was divorced from my husband. I

Customer Question

I am a on IDDR and recently was divorced from my husband. I made more money the him and the state now takes a portion from me to give to him as well as a portion from his retirement as well is the money that i am given from his taxable. Seems like it should not be as i am losing more since i Made more. Understand? Thank you.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I am given about 450.00 month from his retirement and he gets 1500.00 from mine. I receive from Calif 3200.00 per month which was tax free and receive 1500.00 mow and 450.00 from his for a total now of 2000.00 approx.
JA: Our top Accountant is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Accountant in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Accountant until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked a question yesterday and paid you in good faith and have yet to receive an answer.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


You appear to be asking if the arrangement is fair but you really have no question in your post.

If you do want to know if the split is fair then yes, you live in a community property state so split down the middle of all assets.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked not if the split was fair as I know it is. I am doing my taxes and I am on a disability retirement from the state of California. My retirement was not taxable before the divorce. Here's the breakdown: I received 3200.00 tax free a month from Calif. I have 1500.00 taken away and given to him and they take 500.00 away from his retirement and is given to me. Since they are giving me 500.00 from his do I have to pay taxes on what I receive from him? If so it does not seem right as I am technically making 1000.00 less . Understand? I also see they charged me 33 dollars when I agreed to 5.00 I the beginning.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

I cannot see charges but I will send your concern now to Customer support so they can make corrections.

The amount you receive is taxable to you and included in your income.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agreed to pay 5 dollars for an answer. I followed up with clarification to your answer.