How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15716
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 19year son with Down Syndrome who is a full time gh

Customer Question

I have a 19year son with Down Syndrome who is a full time high school student that lives with me-I have legal guardianship.He has been recieving SSI for which he helps with room and board monthly.Do i need to claim his room and board as income on my taxes? If so where to I input the information and how?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


No you do not need to report his SSI on your tax return. That is not taxable to you.

That amount is not reported anywhere but you would need to make sure that the SSI he receives is less then the support you provide when checking the ability to claim him as a dependent.

I can give you a worksheet that will make that easier

His SSI is not taxable (to you or him) but you use it to make sure you provide more support. DO not send the worksheet with your return either just keep it.

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!