Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Have a bsic question - Pls advise as during the year have a

Customer Question
W-2 for $800.00 for the...
Have a bsic question - Pls advise as during the year have a W-2 for $800.00 for the year 2015 and the SOC income of approx $18,000 for that
year - Do I have to file for 2015? - I am 73 ys old and live only on my SOC
period - Told that I might have to pay taxes on my SOC - Is that true
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/15/2016
Tax Professional: Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert replied 1 year ago
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

SOC is Social Security Income.

No. You don't have to file a federal tax return unless you had income tax withholding and want a refund.

Your SS income is not taxable. 1/2 of your SS + your other income must exceed $25,000. before you even have to consider whether or not a return is required. You aren't even close to that.

Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert