How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephen G. Your Own Question
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7119
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Stephen G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have a bsic question - Pls advise as during the year have a

Customer Question

Have a bsic question - Pls advise as during the year have a W-2 for $800.00 for the year 2015 and the SOC income of approx $18,000 for that
year - Do I have to file for 2015? - I am 73 ys old and live only on my SOC
period - Told that I might have to pay taxes on my SOC - Is that true
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

SOC is Social Security Income.

No. You don't have to file a federal tax return unless you had income tax withholding and want a refund.

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

Your SS income is not taxable. 1/2 of your SS + your other income must exceed $25,000. before you even have to consider whether or not a return is required. You aren't even close to that.