Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I made $2890 on our farm in Alabama in 2015, but I live in

Customer Question
Tennessee can I just file...
I made $2890 on our farm in Alabama in 2015, but I live in Tennessee can I just file it as farm income on my taxes?
JA: Hi Tennessee. The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more so we can help you best.
Customer: I made $2890 from produce sales on our farm in Alabama in 2015, but I live and work in TN. How do I file the extra 2890?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I don't know, is there something else that he needs to know? I just wanted to make I file all income that's about it.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/14/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

You need to use Schedule F to report the farm activity. This would be attached to your federal return. If the farm is in Alabama then you may need to file a nonresident Alabama return.

Nonresidents must file a return if Alabama income exceeds the allowable prorated personal exemption. This means that your Alabama percentage of income is used for the exemption amount too.

Checking to see if you responded

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4