Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am trying to figure out what I should use as the cost

Customer Question
basis for options I got...
I am trying to figure out what I should use as the cost basis for options I got in a grant. Seems that I will be taxed twice if I use the cost basis on the 1099B as it is already on my w-2
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I don't know
JA: Our top Accountant is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Accountant in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Accountant until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/13/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

The amount you declare as cost and sale price is the same. This will basically zero out the sale. You will not be taxed twice.

The company imputes income to you of the difference between fair market value and exercise price, FMV-E. That amount is added to your W-2 form, and hopefully shows up in Box 12 indicated by a V.

The amount FMV-E is the imputed income. Again, you will notice FMV-E is not only what the broker paid out, it is also the imputed income amount that shows up in the W-2 form.

The Schedule D sales amount reported by the broker is FMV minus any commission. Your cost basis is the FMV. So the FMV is the sales price, and the Schedule D for this transaction will show zero (if no commission was charged) or a small loss (due to the commission).

Checking to see if you responded

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4