How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a dual citizen - US and Canada lives in Canada and

Customer Question

If a dual citizen - US and Canada lives in Canada and receive some tax free benefit when he files a Canadian return, including child care tax benefit and GST credit. Would these tax free benefit in Canada be tax free in US as well? Could you refer me to IRS or treaty guide? Thanks,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Child care tax and child support are NOT taxable in the US.

I am not sure about GST credit ... would would need to classify that payment fro tax purposes.
Please provide additional information regarding your agreement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GST credit is a sales tax credit given to a low income person when he files Canadian income tax return.
May I ask the guide for Child care tax benefit not taxable in US - from treaty or IRS guide?
Thanks again,