Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Taxpayer lived in NY year-round, had a fellowship from

Customer Question
quot;For Lane"Taxpayer lived in NY...
quot;For Lane"Taxpayer lived in NY year-round, had a fellowship from Stanford, which deducted CA taxes from her paychecks, although she never worked or lived in CA. NY and CA both want to tax her income. Is CA entitled even though she never stepped foot in the state?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/12/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

No, the way source income is defined is "where the services are performed."

...

NY has a credit for taxes paid to another state, on their resident return - But, although someone at Stanford didn't do a good job and let this withholding happen, the credit is really only for taxed PAID to another state. CAN has no jurisdiction to tax this.

...

She should file a non-resident return for California and get this refunded

Did you see my answer?

...

I hope this has helped.

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd really appreciate a positive rating (using the rating request, faces, or stars on your screen)

...

That's the only way I'll be credited for the work here.

...

Thank you!

Lane

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

...

Let me know…

...

Thanks

Lane

...

...

Did my answer help?

...

Let me know…

...

Thanks

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS