Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I own a single member LLC in California, I am looking to

Customer Question
sell it in the next...
I own a single member LLC in California, I am looking to sell it in the next 6 months to a year, I need to know the best way to sell it, i.e. as goodwill, as assets, etc. I completely understand that the buyer may not cooperate, but I need to negotiate for me, and before I can do that I need to know what to ask for.
So should I sell the majority as good will, should I restructure to a S Corp, what is the best move? This is purely a tax question on what will save me the most on taxes for the sale of the business?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/12/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

The best way for you is to convert LLC to S-corporation and hold shares at least a year - and sell SHARES after that - in this case all gain will be treated as long term capital gain - taxable at reduced rates.
If that is not feasible - your only option would be to go with asset sale.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I go with an asset sale vs goodwill will the savings be significant? If I convert to an S-Corp and hold the shares for a year as you suggest, does this get me out of state tax in ca? what is the estimated % of savings on a million dollar sale, S-Corp vs LLC, or asset vs goodwill .....not looking for an exact percentage, just some best guesses?
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney