How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29966
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Taxes. I went back to work last year as a real estate agent

Customer Question

Taxes. I went back to work last year as a real estate agent in order to earn points for my retirement. As I understand, it falls in “Self employed” category. My gross income for 2014 was $5000, and my net income was $1170. As a result, I did not earn any points. Is it right strategy, to avoid same mistake this year, to not deduct any business expenses? But I still have many personal dedications, as property taxes and stack market carry over. Does it also go against my business earning or it falls in different category and will not affect it? My second question is, is there any way I can revise my 2014 tax return, by taking back business expenses deduction in order to earn those points? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

In 2016, you receive one credit for each $1,260 of earnings, up to the maximum of four credits per year.

Following publication might be helpful

Your personal deductions would NOT affect your social security credits - but business deductions will affect.

For purposes of earning social security credits - ONLY net business income that is used to calculate self-employment taxes is counted.

On your tax return - that amount will be on schedule SE line 4

To earn the maximum of four credits per 2016 - your income on that line should be $1,260 * 4 = $5,040.


Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

You may not just choose not to report qualifying deductions...

If you reported deductions incorrectly - then - yes - you may amend your 2014 tax return and make corrections.

But if you correctly reported all business expenses - there is nothing you may do.

I suggest to review your 2014 tax return and verify if all deductions were reported correctly.

Here is a table that show

Amount of earnings needed to earn one quarter of coverage

For 2014 - you would need $1,200 to earn ONE SSA credit.