Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I leased trucks to my business. How do I report this income

Customer Question
in my personal tax return...
I leased trucks to my business. How do I report this income in my personal tax return file?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/11/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Is that the truck which you own correct?

When we need to know how that business is organized ? is that LLC, corporation or solo proprietorship?

Another issue - if the truck is used 100% for business purposes?

And if you personally participate in that business activity?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please,just answer the question about reporting my personal income from me leasing the trucks to the business.Yes,the trucks used 100 percent for a business
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
100%,Yes I participate. It is S corp

If your business is organized as separate legal entity - you will report income from leasing as rental income income on schedule E.

You will be able to deduct qualified expenses related to that property - interest on financing , property taxes, depreciation, etc.

However if you personally participate in that business activity - means it woudl be classified as self-rental - and your net rental income will be subject to self-employment tax.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is it cheaper to pay myself through W-2 for the lease in case of personal participation in this business activity?

That will not be any difference

- the corporation may pay you wages

- the corporation may reimburse you fro business related expenses

- of you may have self-rental if you wish.

Total tax liability will likely be very close.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you

S- corporation is your employer and your employer may provide you additional benefits including car allowances - that is OK.

However if such allowances are paid under an accountable reimbursement plan - they are not included into taxable income.In your situation - seems as your employer does not have an accountable plan and because of that - car allowances are reported as wages.

If you are using your car for business purposes - you are allowed to deduct car expenses.

Generally - you have a choice to use actual car expenses OR to calculate your car expenses base on the standard mileage rate.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor